Forums

Forum Home > TIPS AND TRICKS > SAVED FROM VIRUS

edwin cobb
Site Owner

Thanks in the first place for reading this................

There are times that some of this virus can be quite annoying so this place is just for you so you can free your mind and your pc as well.

please do follow the simple steps below(will be adding screen shots to the list very soon......for now just make without them)

You will need the items listed below.....if you do not have just borrow one.

a. An empty cd

b. A cd or dvd burner............recommend using that of a virus free pc for burning

c. A burning software.........will not be covering how to use that......maybe later on in the forum will be covered

d. An internet connection...........just as above.....a non-infected pc will do great

e. A little brains and patience........hope you don't mind?:)

1. you will need an "offline line" virus scanning programme...........when I mean offline, not the common ones you install rather the one which will scan your pc without booting into your pc either in safe mode or whatever.

I do recommend Bitdefender(R) Rescue cd....................the best on the market and it is for free, no need to pay for anything. Just download it and burn the .iso image to a cd using nero or any burning programme of your choice...........Please note that i do not recommend programmes such as power iso,etc.

A trial version of nero can even do the work since we will need to burn only once and if you are going to use it more consider buying it.

2. The next thing to do is burn the .iso image to a cd..................once again have to do that on your own.

3. Now to the main issue.:)...........................Guess you have your Bitdefender rescue cd at hand(good).

Power on the infected pc and insert the cd into it. You can shut down the pc if it skips the  boot from cd screen and power it on again.

If you still do not get the boot screen from the cd then time to enter into your pc bios settings. This is where you will have to set your pc to make it boot from the cd before the hard disk. 

instructions are here.

4.  Now that we have taken care of that...........time for business. You should have a list of options to choose from. I normally recommend the first one since that gives you a very nice graphical interface...........you will soon understand.

you may choose the console mode should the graphical method pose problems. Note that you do note get to see what is really going on, only after the scanning is over.

5.    Should you be able to pass through the emulation mode, you will have a very nice graphical interface (actually a linux based interface in knoppix)..................scanning starts automatically and the final result displayed. Options for action to be taken will be displayed should the need arise.

Choosing the action from the first list automatically adjusts the rest (you can chose different actions for different files...........which i do not recommend)

Normally the first action that i do take is to delete the virus, if that does not work for the file then you should try the other ones.

6.    Right click on the desktop and select exit from the bottom list to leave the bitdefender desktop. Follow the through the exiting process the do as shown.

7.   Your machine will normally shutdown which is you will have to power on to continue the next step which is in sections two of the same topic heading

April 12, 2010 at 3:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.